We are excited to be part of your academic journey!

International Student Admissions

Admissions for international students has a separate process. Please read through the following information on how to apply as an international student. If you have additional questions, please email admissions.


    To apply for admission, an applicant residing in a country other than the United States must:

    1. Complete the SCC Admissions Application online.
    2. Submit official high school and college transcripts. Photocopies are not acceptable. Documents must attest to the student's graduation status. Original credentials must be accompanied by English translations certified through a NACES accredited agency, such as SpanTran.
    3. Provide proof of English language comprehension/fluency. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 68 (iBT), 190 (CbT) or 520 (paper-based format) are required. Salem Community College does not offer intensive English as a Second Language instruction. TOEFL test scores must be submitted directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to Salem Community College. Photocopies from the student are not acceptable.
    4. Submit proof of age through copy of birth certificate or passport.
    5. Provide an Affidavit of Support Form (USCIS Form I-134) completed by the student's sponsor. Supporting documentation (bank statements) reflecting a minimum of $16,000 must accompany the affidavit and amounts must be listed in U.S. dollars
    6. Make a payment of $300 to cover the international student processing fee. This fee is non-refundable.
    7. Provide a check or money order for $5,000 U.S. drawn on a United States bank or other financial institution made payable to Salem Community College. The money will be deposited into the student's account and will be used to pay a portion of the tuition and fees for the first two semesters.

    Upon the receipt of all required material and deposits, an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigration Student Status) will be processed and mailed to the student. The student will need to take the I-20 and accompanying documentation to the United States Consulate or Embassy to meet with a consular official. The decision to grant an F-1/M-1 student visa is made by the consulate or embassy staff representing the United States Department of State.

    Must enroll full-time (12 credits or more) and hold at least a 2.0 grade point average each semester in order to maintain good standing. Students failing to do so will have their enrollment ended.

    Must write to SCC's Dean of Enrollment Management to request a refund due to visa denial. SCC will refund all tuition, fees only. The $300 international student processing fee is non-refundable.

    Are required to return to their home countries if they wish to apply for F-1/M-1 visa status.

    International students who wish to transfer to Salem Community College must be in compliance with their student visa requirements, request a transfer release from the other institution, and complete an SCC Transfer-in form and application.

    The annual estimated cost for an international student is $24,000. This includes tuition, fees, living expenses and off-campus room and board.

    Fall (September) applicants - July 1

    Spring (January) applicants - November 1

    Credit Transfers

    Guidelines for the Transfer of Credits from Other Institutions

    Official transcripts must be forwarded to the SCC Office of Enrollment Management from previously attended institutions of higher education. After the transcripts are evaluated, transfer credit will be granted, provided that:

    • the course(s) is/are applicable to the student's selected program of study at SCC
    • a grade of "C" or higher was awarded for the course(s) by the prior institution of higher education.
    • course content is essentially equivalent to a similar course at SCC or to a course commonly offered by other colleges and universities during the first two years of study.
    • the number of credits is the same (or greater) than the number of credits awarded for similar course at SCC.
    • the course(s) has/have not exceeded the allowed time period for transfer at SCC, if applicable. [see Time Limits herein]
    • the transfer limit (i.e., the maximum number of credits applicable to a degree or certificate at SCC) has not been reached.
    • the prior institution that awarded the credits is accredited to offer college-level courses.

    *These guidelines may change without notice.

      Transfer credit will be awarded only if directly applicable to the student's current program of study at SCC. Transfer evaluations will not be processed for students who are listed as undecided or taking courses for enrichment.

      Transfer credit will not be awarded for developmental-or remedial-level courses (for SCC - any course numbered below 100). Credit will also not be accepted for any course which the transferring institution would not count toward the calculation of a grade point average at that institution.

      Courses will only be considered for transfer credit if a grade of "C" or higher was achieved. If two components are required for a specific transfer (such as a lecture and a lab for a science course), then both components must have the minimum grade of "C" (or Pass if no more than one component is a Pass/Fail course).

      Courses required for SCC's Practical Nursing Certificate and Associate Degree in Nursing programs (including prerequisite courses) require a minimum grade of a "C+" (78 percent).

      Except for military transcripts (see below), courses with non-letter grade system will not be considered for transfer. For the purposes of this policy, non-letter system means any system not using "A", "B", "C", etc. Pass, satisfactory, credit and other such non-letter grades will not be accepted (except as noted above).

      In some cases where courses content is divided differently at another institution, SCC may require that two courses be taken in order to transfer credits for one course at SCC.

      The number of earned credits for a particular course at the transferring institution must be equivalent or greater than the number of credits being sought for the equivalent course at SCC. Greater credit will not be awarded for courses from the transferring institution with more credits than the equivalent SCC course. For example, if the transferring institution has an Anatomy and Physiology course that is 5 credits, it will only transfer for 4 credits at SCC.

      For courses taken at institutions not using the semester-hour system, credits will be converted to semester hours. Quarter-hour credits are converted using the standard "1 quarter hour times .67" to determine semester-hour equivalency. All other systems are considered on an individual basis.

      Certain specialty courses will not transfer, including, but not limited to, the following SCC course codes: EME, FNA (except FNA 101 and FNA 102), HLH, NET, NUR, and SGT.

      A syllabus or portfolio may be required for certain courses, as determined by the SCC Registrar's Office. It is the student's responsibility to provide any additional information or documentation, if requested. Requests for syllabi or other documentation does not guarantee acceptance upon review.

      Credits will not be accepted for transfer if the course was taken too long ago, even if the course is normally accepted for transfer.

      At the time of transfer:

      • Statistics classes must have been taken less than ten years ago.
      • Computer classes must have been taken less than five years ago.
      • Microbiology classes must have been taken less than five years ago.
      • Human Anatomy & Physiology classes must have been taken less than five years ago.
      • Standard First Aid and CPR (HSC 200) equivalent classes must have been taken less than two years ago.
      • Certification accepted for Standard First Aid and CPR (HSC 200) credit must be current.

      The total transfer limit for any student is 45 credits (including courses for which a student has received a grade of either CR or TR at SCC), regardless of program changes or use of credits within any program. A course will not be transferred if it is determined that the course must be taken at SCC for a specific program, as determined by the SCC Office of Academic Affairs.

      A maximum of 15 credits is allowed for CLEP, AP and test-out credits.

      For an associate degree, the total number of credits accepted in transfer may not exceed 45. For certificate programs, the maximum number of credits accepted in transfer may not exceed one half of the total program credits, generally 15-18 credits. A minimum of 15 credits in the student's major field must be earned by completing courses at SCC.

      Course credits successfully completed at an institution of higher education accredited by one of the following accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer to SCC:

      • Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
      • New England Association of Colleges and Schools.
      • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
      • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
      • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
      • Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
      • Board of Regents of the State of New York. (if designated as the sole or primary agency)

      Military transcripts will be reviewed, and credits accepted, based on recommendation from a review by the American Council on Education (ACE). Time and credit limits still apply, but non-letter grades may be accepted if considered passing by ACE.

      Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the World Education Services (WES) before submission to SCC.

      CLEP and AP credits will be accepted if the minimum recommended score is achieved, and the exam topic follows all other guidelines herein.

      CLEP List and Transfer Codes

      AP List and Transfer Codes

      Tuition costs will be applied for Standard First Aid and CPR (HSC 200) credit awarded from certification cards. There may be costs associated with other credit-by-exam and credit-for-life-experience situations.

      The College will endeavor to evaluate transcripts within four weeks of receipt. Once a transcript evaluation has been completed, students will be able to view the results of the transcript evaluation via SCC's Self-Service Portal. Students may log into SCC's Self-Service on the College home page. Students who experience difficulty logging in may refer to the Self-Service Portal Directions link on the College home page.

      Students who wish to appeal the denial of transfer credits may do so in writing to the Dean of Academic Affairs within three months of the original transfer evaluation. Along with a detailed explanation of why the student believes that the credits should be considered for transfer, students must provide a copy of a syllabus (matching the year and term the course was taken) for each contested course from the prior institution and any other documentation supporting their claim.


      New Jersey law (NJAC 8:57-6.1 through 6.21) requires that all new students who are enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) present acceptable proof of immunization from measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Hepatitis B and Meningococcal. This applies to all students 30 years of age and under.

      This proof must be presented either before the beginning of the student’s first semester of full-time enrollment or within 60 days of enrollment. The State of New Jersey may deny continued enrollment to those students who do not comply with this regulation.

      High schools must retain student health records for 7 years after graduation, which is any easy way to obtain them at no cost.

      Students may be exempt from this requirement if one or more of the following apply:

      • You are attending as a part-time student (11 or fewer credits) -- this applies only to Hepatitis B. Part-time students must present proof of immunization for MMR and Meningococcal.
      • You are 31 years of age or older (23 and older for Meningococcal).
      • You have a medical reason in writing from a physician for not being immunized.
      • You have a written religious objection to immunization.


      Students needing assistance obtaining the required immunization can contact SCC’s health care partner:
      Southern Jersey Family Medical Center
      238 E. Broadway
      Salem, NJ 08079


      Service charges/payment may be required.