fbpx Veteran FAQs | Salem Community College

Veteran FAQs

How do I activate my GI benefits?

Fill out an application, available in SCC's Veterans Affairs Office, and provide a copy of your discharge papers (DD-214). This documentation will be forwarded, along with SCC's certification that you are enrolled for classes. You can also apply online at http://www.gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/application


How much does the VA pay?

The amounts vary. Contact the SCC Veterans Affairs Office for details.


My husband and father are veterans. Are there any benefits for me?

Only in the specific instances where the veteran is 100% totally and permanently disabled, or deceased from a service-related disability.


How long does it take for my VA check to start coming in?

VA processing takes 6 to 8 weeks.


How do I pay my tuition?

You will have to pay tuition in full by the College's deadline, or request a deferral from the Office of Veterans Affairs/Financial Aid.


Does the VA pay for my books?

No. You must budget for tuition, fees, and books from the monthly stipend.