Responsibilities of Advisees
To prepare for your advising appointment it is expected that you will do the following before meeting with your advisor:
- Review course offerings on line through Self-Service.
- Be sure you do not have any holds on your account.
- Know if you have completed developmental math and English requirements.
- Determine if you still need prerequisite courses for any course that you plan to take next semester.
- Review “General Education” and elective sheets.
- Prepare a draft of courses that you plan to take next semester.
- Be sure you are comfortable with the courses you select and be aware of the time you will need to study for the course, commute time to get to college, etc.
- Check that you sent all official previous transcripts to SCC for evaluation prior to appointment, if applicable.
Other advisee responsibilities include:
- Communicate effectively.
- Actively participate in the advising experience.
- Ask questions.
- Keep record of plans and progress toward goals.
- Keep important documents.
- Complete recommendations of advisor.
- Gather information needed for decision making.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs.
- Accept responsibility for decisions and actions.
Please Note: We strongly encourage all students to register using the Self-Service Portal.
To register on the correct day by the total number of credits you have earned, returning full-time students in a degree or certificate program are highly encouraged to:
- See a faculty advisor.
- Complete an advising & registration form (during the advising appointment).
- Register on the Self-Service Portal on the correct registration date. Students experiencing technical difficulties should contact the IT Help Desk and see Student Affairs if IT cannot resolve their issue.
Please contact Student Affairs at 856-351-2716 to schedule an appointment to take the placement test, see an advisor, and receive instructions on how to register using Self-Service.
Please see the list of responsibilities above to prepare for the advising appointment.